tagline

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL BLOG BUT A BLOG FOR A BETTER MALAYSIA!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

FMT : Umno MP lashes out at Zahrain over Sept 16 claim

By Rahmah Ghazali
FULL REPORT KUALA LUMPUR: Outspoken Umno Kalabakan parliamentarian Abdul Ghapur Salleh ripped into Independent Bayan Baru MP Zahrain Mohamed Hashim over the latter's startling allegations on the Sept 16, 2008 government takeover.
"He could be fatter and happier now, but I don't know why he would involve my name in the first place," he said during his debate on the royal address in Dewan Rakyat.
"I want the Bayan Baru MP to retract what he had said and apologise to me. Is he here or not?” asked Ghapur.
Zahrain, the former PKR MP recently linked Ghapur's name to seven other BN MPs who he claimed were supposed to defect to Pakatan Rakyat to form a new government.
"Zahrain's claims are a 'lie' and Umno should never open its doors to such leaders like him. I'm not somebody who jumps party," Ghapur said.
"I was not asked to defect. Maybe those who did not defect weren't offered enough. But for the Bayan Baru (MP), the bait must have been huge," he added.
He also accused Zahrain of “being paid” before he made his claims about the Sept 16 takeover of the federal government.
"If he (Zahrain) knew about this (takeover), why didn't he leave PKR two years ago (during the Sept 16 episode)? He is now independent and has his pockets full (of money).
"Please Umno, don't accept this kind of people. If he could gigit (backstab) his own leaders, he could gigit our leaders as well," Ghapur said.
The seven other MPs Zahrain claimed who were willing to cross over to PKR were Puad Zarkashi (BN-Batu Pahat), Foreign Minister Anifah Aman (BN-Kimanis), Bung Mukhtar Radin (BN-Kinabatangan), Chua Soon Bui (Independent-Tawau), Enchin Majimbun (Independent-Sepanggar), Tengku Azlan Sultan Abu Bakar (BN-Jerantut) and Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah (BN-Gua Musang).
Zahrain left PKR earlier this month following a fallout with PKR's de facto Anwar Ibrahim.
Added Ghapur: "I have been keeping mum on this matter although reporters approached me and asked if I was involved. I wanted to wait until I could make an official statement (in the Dewan Rakyat)."
'Why only eight, name all 30'
Refusing to back down even when asked to calm down by Umno colleague, Mohamad Aziz (BN-Sri Gading), Ghapur said Zahrain should have revealed all the 30 MPs who were supposed to defect instead of just eight.
Anwar had previously claimed that he had 30 BN MPs who were ready to defect to help him form a new government.
"They said 30 MPs would defect, but why didn't he name all of them? If he said that everything was a lie about the takeover, why didn't he leave then?" Ghapur asked again.
Zahrain, who was in the Dewan Rakyat at the moment, stood up twice to rebutt Ghapur's remarks, but he did not get a chance.
"No, I will not give way to you... Bayan Baru (MP) claimed that BN MPs who went to Taiwan before (the supposed takeover) were involved, but didn't he know that I was not part of the trip?
"Don't throw baseless allegations (without evidence). Now I want all the media to give full coverage to my statements today just like Bayan Baru was given his before this," he said.
Zahrain: Why get personal?
Later at a press conference, Zahrain maintained that he will not apologise for the linking Abdul Ghapur to the Sept 16 takeover.

"Sorry for what? I did not make any accusations and I did not belittle them. I just told them what Anwar had told me. If you want to be angry, be angry at Anwar. Not me," he said.

Zahrain said there was no need for Abdul Ghapur to get 'personal' and not allow him room to explain himself.

"Why would he want to challenge me to reveal all the names? When I revealed about the Sept 16 plan, it was just out of frustration towards the party (PKR) leadership.

"Besides, when I made the revelation, I only remembered eight names instead of the 30 MPs and Kalabakan was among them. There was no need for him to make a personal attack.

"He did not allow me explain. I was just telling them what Anwar had told me. I don't hold any grudges against Kalabakan as I know that he is close to Anwar," he said.

Asked to explain Abdul Ghapur's question as to why it took him two years to leave PKR after the failed Sept 16 plan, Zahrain said he never thought of leaving the party then.

"I was hurt (when the Sept 16 plan did not materialise). But then, I never throught of leaving the party then, and that is why I had to toe to the party line.

"I left when the de facto leader (Anwar) betrayed me. When I criticised (Penang chief minister) Lim Guan Eng, I was referred to the disciplinary committee," said Zahrain.

When pressed by reporters to take up Abdul Ghapur's challenge and name the rest of the MPs who intended to cross over, Zahrain said: "I never had the intention to reveal the names.

"My intention was to reveal why I left the party. So I used Sept 16 as the example. I was frustrated about the failed Sept 16 plan."
Also read:

Up to the authorities to investigate Anwar, says Najib
MPs shred Zahrain’s attack on Pakatan
Zahrain takes up challenge, reveals names of BN 'defectors'

No comments: